|YESSS!!!! My Jingle Blocks Aren't Bleeding Anymore!|
I just realized I never followed up with my scary nightmare post about the quilting bloodbath. I am happy to report that there were NO casualties! It turned out that my favorite Hoffman poinsettia fabric was the bleeder after all. These are seriously haemophiliac flowers, you guys, but ordinary Dawn Ultra dishwashing liquid was the Rasputin who saved my bleeding quilt.
|The Villainous Bleeder: Hoffman "Winter Magic" Style G8562|
I had already cut all of my setting triangles out of this red poinsettia fabric (also used in some of my pieced blocks that bled) but was reluctant to soak and agitate the triangles for fear of fraying and distorting the bias edges. Yet all the work I did to eliminate the dye bleed in the blocks would be for nothing if I sewed the non-bleeding blocks to red fabric that was still bleeding.
I confirmed that the poinsettia fabric was definitely the bleeder by soaking a small scrap of this prewashed fabric in a bowl of hot, soapy water. The water turned dark red almost immediately.
|Just a Scrap Of Poinsettia Fabric Turned the Soapy Water Red|
|Yikes!! My Fabric Bleeds Chicken Blood!|
|The Setting Triangles Survived Their Bloodbath!|
I had to use the blue Original Dawn Ultra dish soap for my first go at this, because that was the "plainest" Dawn dish soap that my local grocery store carried. I wasn't thrilled about that, though, because blue Dawn tints my soapy water blue and that makes it harder to tell whether blue or green fabrics are bleeding. Also, the manufacturer of Dawn is only intending for customers to use their product on dishes, so they won't have tested whether their blue dye would transfer to or interact negatively with fabric in any way. So I was delighted to discover that Dawn makes a Free and Gentle version of their Ultra dish soap that is completely dye free, and that's what I'm using from now on. I found it on Amazon here, two 21.6 oz bottles for $12 with free Prime shipping, and I stocked up so I can test and treat every new fabric that comes home with me.
Yes, there are plenty of other chemicals and soaps that quilters swear by for dealing with bleeding dyes in commercial fabrics, but they are all much more expensive harder to find.
So, back to the Jingle quilt. Here is designer Erin Russek's original setting for these blocks:
|Designer Erin Russek's Setting for Jingle, Finished Size 76" x 76"|
|Tweaking the Setting On My Design Wall.|
I'm currently considering replacing the inner red poinsettia setting triangles with green ones to accentuate the zigzag effect of the on point block border, as well as ensuring that I have a nice Christmasy balance of red and green in the finished quilt. I found a mottled tonal green fabric nearly identical to one of the fabrics I used for some of my appliqued leaves, and I prewashed it AND checked it for color fastness, so it's ready to go.
|New Emerald Green Fabric for Inner Setting Triangles|
But meanwhile, I'm nearly finished with Pineapple Log Cabin Block #36 of 42:
|Block 36 of 42 Currently In Progress|
|Auditioning Feathers for Felines|
Have a wonderful, productive, and beautiful day! I'm linking up with:
- · Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com
- · Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/
- · Moving it Forward at Em’s Scrap Bag: http://emsscrapbag.blogspot.com.au/
- · BOMs Away at Katie Mae Quilts: www.katiemaequilts.com
- Oh Scrap! at Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework: http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com