|There's A Hole In My Quilt Top, Dear Liza a Hole!|
Up until yesterday, I had four of these holes at the center of every single one of my bear paw blocks, as well as holes at the four corners of most of my sashing star blocks. When I started making this quilt several years ago, I just started sewing and "pressing to the dark side" rather than making a pressing plan.
The goals of a pressing plan are:
- to reduce bulk
- keep points crisp and sharp, and
- create the flattest possible quilt top sans thick, knobby bumps where too many seam allowances stacked up, and
- most importantly, to create nesting seam allowances wherever possible for perfectly matching seam intersections.
(If you're following a pattern that includes pressing instructions, the pattern designer has already done this for you). I realized the error of my haphazard ways after sewing this quilt top together, and came up with a delusional plan to fix it (late one night when bad decisions are made and it's best to leave the studio!). I just popped the seams at all of the offending intersections so I could press the seam allowances in different directions. Now my quilt top was nice and flat, but there were a bazillion HOLES in it!
|See? I ripped out the stitching to free the seam allowance.|
|The Final pressing Solution|
|Same Sawtooth Star, from the Right Side|
|One More, 'Cause They're So Cute|
|Pinning Borders, Easing Top Slightly to fit Border|
A lot of quilters struggle with keeping their quilt edges flat and square, especially if they have multiple borders. I deliberately included the sashing strips and border in my class project so I can teach them how to do those steps successfully.
I did talk with my dealer and she agreed that I could teach this as a two-day class, which I feel much better about. I'm going to continue to think about ways to streamline the process and divide things up, and will probably put together a couple more sample tops as I do that. I'm also going to corral some family members as guinea pigs and attempt to teach them the project in the allotted class time.
My stitching has lagged behind a bit this week due to an unfortunate illness afflicting my 2nd floor air conditioning, turning my studio into a sauna. It's fixed now, but I'm headed out of town after church tomorrow and that's the perfect opportunity for my 'Nina 750QE sewbaby to go in for her annual wellbaby visit. I think there's an update that I haven't downloaded, too. Then, when I get back, she'll be in tip-top shape and ready to sew up a storm!
Enjoy your summer, and happy stitching, everyone!