|Anders' Modern Building Blocks, 70" x 96", drafted in EQ7|
Anders' Froggy Quilt of Many Colors, a dizzyingly busy I Spy novelty print quilt completed in 2003 for his third birthday, has seen better days:
|Anders' Froggy Quilt of Many Colors, 2003|
|How I struggled to get those flying geese with practically perfect points!|
|The Embroidered Quilt Label|
So, remember that Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt that everyone was buzzing about two years ago? I admired it when I first saw it, but didn't consider making one because I didn't know what I'd do with it, plus I was up to my eyeballs in so many other quilts-in-progress at the time. As usual.
In case you haven't seen this quilt before, it was a wildly popular pattern that Moda put out to promote their fabrics, and you can still get that pattern here if you want to make an 84" x 96" quilt like theirs. I liked this quilt when I first saw it, but it popped into my radar again recently because Greg over at Grey Dogwood Studio just posted photos of his finished version using Fig Tree fabrics with a few prints mixed in:
|Made by Greg of Grey Dogwood Studios|
My idea for updating his room now that he's a teenager (as of this Saturday!) without changing it drastically is to paint over the juvenile wallpaper border and make it a wide navy blue stripe edged with narrower red stripes. That, along with a new quilt in solid fabrics rather than novelty frog prints, should help the room "grow up" a little without Anders feeling like I totally changed everything. So I had to alter the color palette of the Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt, but I also had to resize it to fit a twin bed. I like to make my kids' quilts an XL Twin size, 96" long, because that way they wrap under the foot of the bed more securely and don't end up on the floor every morning from the Midnight Boogie or whatever these squirmy sleepers are doing. And then a fringe benefit was that Anders' XL Froggy Quilt was just the right size for the XL Twin dorm bed at Davidson where he stayed for the Duke TiP Summer Center program this June.
The original Moda design calls for blocks that are all multiples of 6": 6", 12", 18", 24", 30", and 36". By resizing the blocks to multiples of 5" instead, I was able to use the same blocks in the same layout, but the width of the finished quilt is reduced to 70" instead of 84". Perfect for my twin bed. Of course, shrinking all the blocks reduced the length of the quilt as well, so I added 8" striped borders to the top and bottom of the quilt to get the 96" length that I wanted. Since I was changing the colors and the block sizes, I decided to redraft the entire quilt in my EQ7 software. Added bonus: I had to learn how to do a "Custom Set Layout" in order to do this. Quite a few of the blocks in this quilt were already in the EQ7 block library or in the supplemental Block Base library. For others, I was able to find a similar block and edit it to look like the one in the Moda quilt (more good software skills practice). However, as I was getting near the end of the quilt, recoloring it with Kona Solids as I went along, I was starting to get kind of a Scandinavian/Germanic folk art vibe that I liked, so I deliberately swapped out two of the larger blocks for others that better supported that concept.
I'm linking up with:
Let’s Bee Social at http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/
WOW WIP on Wednesday at www.estheraliu.blogspot.com
Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times www.patchworktimes.com
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts http://www.cookingupquilts.com/
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/
Moving it Forward at Em’s Scrap Bag: http://emsscrapbag.blogspot.com.au/
...And then, I'm going to get some work done, and THEN, I swear I'm going to cut out that SKIRT!