Monday, December 8, 2014

My Son Lars, Designer of Festive Holiday Decor

Remember how my 13-year-old son Lars took the Advanced Drawing EQ7 software class with Barb Vlack at Quilt Week over the summer?  Well, we need a new tree skirt for one of our Christmas trees, and I asked Lars to design one for me in EQ7.  This is what he came up with:

48" Diameter Christmas Tree Skirt, Designed by Lars

Hmmm...  Joy to the world, anyone????  I think it looks like that German Krampus devil that supposedly comes to punish all the bad kids who ended up on Santa's Naughty List:

See the resemblance?  Anyway, back to the drawing board, because that creepy dude is NOT going under my Christmas tree!

This is more of what I had in mind:
48" Diameter Tree Skirt, Designed by Mom

The fabrics are not to scale and the color is a little off since they are snapshots taken with my phone rather than scanned images, but you get the general idea.  I wonder if this is too ambitious to try to make before Christmas?  It's for the Christmas tree in my kitchen, which is decorated with ornaments that look like candy, gingerbread men, toys, and brightly colored balls.  It has a blue star on top.  I have novelty print fabrics with Christmas cookies, peppermint candies, hot chocolate, and some pretty blue fabrics with snowflakes, as well as a red, green and pink stripe fabric that reminds me of peppermint sticks that I'm planning for the binding. 

Now that I drew this lovely tree skirt on the computer, I wonder if I can figure out how to actually MAKE it?

I'm going to link up with Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and with Anything Goes Monday at Stitch By Stitch.

3 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

It looks like something a young boy would want for a Christmas tree skirt, but I like your design much better. Good luck and I can't wait to see it finished.

Quilting Nonnie said...

Your son has a ...wonderful... imagination! :-)
I love your Christmas tree skirt idea. Very, very pretty.
I thought the Christmas tree skirts that I made this year took a lot of time. They pale in comparison to yours. But yours will be mighty purty when it's done!

Lane said...

So, it seems to me that you need a Halloween tree with halloween ornaments for Lars to make his tree skirt for. It's the only possible solution.

Oh, and you are an overachiever with your plans for a tree skirt. I can only say "60 degree diamond ruler?"