|Needle Turn Applique In Progress|
|Smooth Circles, but Uneven Petal Gaps|
Now, I'm pleased with how nice and smooth the circles are, but it is obvious that something went awry when I stitched the stacked petals to my quilt block earlier. See how there is more of a gap between petal and stem in some places than in others? I couldn't tell that happened until I had the center circles in place, and by then it was too late to move the petals. Either I turned under a little too much of the dark brown print on some of those petals, or I didn't get them positioned accurately enough. This could be an issue with the chalk pencil I'm using to mark the turning line on my applique shapes, because the chalk does seem to smudge as I'm handling the applique for hand stitching and it is sometimes unclear just where edge of the line is. Or the inaccuracy could be happening when I'm positioning the applique shapes and pinning them to the background fabric. I must say, I'm not enjoying fiddling with the giant vinyl overlay and it seems to me that each time I lay that placement overlay back on the block, it's harder and harder to get the block to match up with the lines on the overlay. With my earlier applique project, I preturned the edges of all of my shapes and then glue basted them in place with a light box instead of reaching under a sheet of vinyl, and I think that method might be more accurate for me. Should I have lightly traced some of the major placement lines on my block background with a pencil?
But this is a learning project, so on we go! I will probably add something to the design to hide those oopses later.
Last night I finger pressed a few leaves and pinned them in place for stitching. This block is my first attempt at needle turn applique and I knew that the tight outer curve on the small leaves would be more challenging than the softer curved edges on the large flower petals. My first leaf came out kind of lumpy, as you can see in the photo:
|Lumpy First Leaf|
Which wouldn't really be the end of the world. One of the primary reasons I wanted to learn to turn the fabric edges under at the point of stitching the applique is that I thought it would make my projects more portable -- no more hours spent at the ironing board, fiddling with starch or sizing and pressing the raw fabric edges around my templates. However, as you can see, I'm not exactly making speedy progress with this method, either. With preturned shapes I was able to glue baste more shapes onto my block at a time and it was easier to make sure I always had something ready to hand stitch when I headed out the door. With the method I'm using for this block, I can only really position one or two pieces at a time, and then I have to fiddle around with the vinyl overlay and the pins at home every time I need a new piece to stitch.
Once I've figured out my leaves, I'll go back to the rosebuds that go in the center of the flower. I do want them to have a little bit of dimension, so I'm going to try Jeanne Sullivan's Patch Back product using the instructions in her book Simply Successful Applique.
|Design Wall Today|