|This Is Only a Test!|
|My Crooked and Overly Pointy First Petal|
It is not going smashingly well. For one thing, my fabrics are very soft and limp from prewashing them, and I don't like how that feels in my hand. The chalk line seems to smudge as I'm handling the pieces to stitch them together, and that -- along with the limp fabric hand -- is making it harder to see exactly where the edge should be turning as I'm stitching. That's why my curves are not perfectly smooth. This was irritating me enough that I stopped in the middle of stitching my coral petal and made all new templates for this block out of the heat resistant plastic so I could pre-turn my edges with liquid starch and an iron, as I did for my previous applique project.
|Plastic Template, Starch and Press Prepared Edge Method|
Also, it look longer to press the edges around the template than I had remembered, and even though I set the iron on medium heat, my template plastic still got cloudy and threatened to warp even after just one petal. Annoying! Grrr!
Having reminded myself why I was trying to learn the needle-turn-as-you-go method in the first place, I went back to stitching my sample petal by turning the fabric edge under along the pinched "finger pressed" chalk line with my needle as I was stitching. I suppose it isn't SO bad, is it? I could try another brand of chalk pencil to see if it smudges less, and I can try pressing my applique fabrics with a light starch to give them more body and stability and see if that doesn't also help to keep the pinched finger pressed edge crisp and precise throughout the stitching process.
|Unsatisfactory Corner Puckering from the Back Side|
MEANWHILE... My husband is expanding my design wall today so I can fit all of my Jingle blocks on the wall at once and hopefully figure out the pieced inner border this week. Hooray!
|Jingle Blocks on Newly Expanded Design Wall!|
So what I'm thinking I'll do is plan to have a plain fabric border on the inner and outer sides of my pieced border, and hopefully I can oversize those enough that I'll be able to trim it to fit what it has to attach to at the end. And hopefully that will result in pleasing, I-meant-to-do-that proportions. That is the hope.
Now I need to get everything off the wall again before Bernie gets back with the screws!