Monday, December 31, 2012

My Goth Chic Sewing Palace Chandelier!

Partially Transformed Currey & Co. Chandelier
Original "Largo" Chandelier
The sewing room transformation has begun!  That hideous ceiling fan is gone, replaced by a very Goth-looking incarnation of a Currey & Co. "Largo" chandelier that has been languishing in my garage for over a year.  Originally this fixture had three different painted finishes: rusty brown, verdigris, and gilt gold, along with silver leafed amber chandelier crystals.  There was a lot going on, and although the dimensions of the fixture were perfect for my space, I wanted to get rid of the gypsy circus riot of colors and make it more neutral. 

I briefly considered repainting it white or ivory so it would disappear into the walls more, but I didn't want the headache of primers, multiple coats, and incomplete coverage, so I went with a satin oil rubbed bronze and just sprayed the whole thing.  Or should I say, Bernie sprayed the whole thing, because apparently I am not to be trusted with spray paint in his garage. 
 
Bernie as Decorative Painter!
New Candle Sleeves on Order
I ditched the amber faceted crystal pendants, and replaced them with the smooth chandelier pendants that I took off my master bathroom fixtures.  I hated them for the bathroom, but I love them with the "new" look of this fixture.  I had been using these pendants as Christmas ornaments, so they were easy to locate at this time of year.  I had eight of them and they were exactly the same size as the amber pendants I was replacing, so I only had to order four more as replacement parts from Minka Lavery.  The candle sticks have to go, too -- they were too orange and one of them was damaged -- so we left them on during painting rather than removing them first and taping the electrical components.  I've ordered two different styles of ivory/white candleabra candle sleeves from chandelierparts.com, as well as six clear rosettes in approximately the same diameter as the octagonal amber crystals that were originally wired in place at the base of the leaves. 

Crystal Rosettes on Order
Right now I have six 40-watt "Reveal" candleabra bulbs in this fixture, which is hanging 7' off the ground, and already it's a big improvement over the amount of light I was getting from the wretched ceiling fan.  However, this room is going to need a lot more ambient lighting from cans or track lights in order to light the space evenly, without shadows, as well as beefed-up task light, especially at the cutting table.  So that's next on my husband's agenda, and while he's figuring that out, I'll be going through the mounds and mounds of accumulated "stuff" and hopefully filling some trash and/or donation bags. 

Here's one last view of my room as it looks today:


Chandelier Sans Candle Sleeves, Missing 4 Crystal Pendants
I'm really digging the look of my creepy chandelier!  I love my red painted sewing cabinet, so I'll stay with that, and I'm planning to paint the rest of the shelving and cabinetry red or deep black/brown as well.  Mismatched finishes really contribute to that feeling of overwhelming clutter.  The walls will be a very pale ivory, to keep the room feeling light and bright.

One little disclaimer: I would never, EVER, not in a million years, spray paint a chandelier this way for my dining room or for any of my interior design clients' projects.  A chandelier that originally cost close to $2,000 now looks like it cost about $500.  My faux finish artist could have changed the finish for me much more professionally and created something exquisite, but I keep reminding myself that this is a SEWING ROOM, after all, not a dining room slated for Architectural Digest, and I'm trying to snazz it up as inexpensively as possible.  A $7 can of spray paint is just what the Design-on-a-Dime Design Doctor ordered!

1 comment:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

That is absolutely positively fabulous!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...