|October FMQ Challenge Piece, 15" x 15" Silk Taffeta with Double Batting|
This month's tutorial was courtesy of the very talented quilter Teri Lucas. Some of the interesting twists for the October challenge were:
- Teri suggested a silk or silk/cotton blend fabric for the sample instead of a quilting weight cotton. I found a yummy scrap of terra cotta silk taffeta that was leftover from a client's drapery project years ago, so that's what I used for the challenge.
- I almost missed this, but Teri directed us to put TWO layers of batting in this quilt sandwich, a bamboo or needle-punched low-loft polyester batting closest to our backing fabric, and a layer of wool or silk batting on top of that, just beneath the silk fabric. I found some thin Mountain Mist poly batting and layered Hobbs Tuscany Silk batting on top of that. I attempted to baste this much-thicker-than-usual sandwich with safety pins, but that was a disaster -- I ended up using 505 Temporary Spray Adhesive between each layer to prevent shifting and distortion.
- Teri also wanted us to play with different threads, which I don't normally do. Since the silk fabric had a sheen, I decided to experiment with a box of forgotten Sulky rayon 40 weight embroidery thread. I used the same thread in the needle and in the bobbin, and reduced my upper thread tension down to 1.5 in order to get a nice, balanced stitch on both sides of my quilt sandwich.
|Pebbles, Nautilus Shells, and Feather-Like Leafed Thingys|
|Meandering, Jester Hats, Feather-Like Objects and Today's Date|
One last look:
|Completed October Challenge, approximately 15" x 15"|
Thank you, Teri, for sharing this wonderful tutorial with us! It was a lot of fun.