So, have you met Amy Lou Who? This mother, blogger, former school teacher, and creative quilter came up with the bright idea of hosting a Show-and-Tell sewing party on her blog each Friday, inviting others to link up and share sewing projects they had completed during the week. If you click over to Amy's blog (and I hope you will!), you'll find links to all kinds of cool sewing projects that others have made, everthing from quilts to purses to clothing, and everything in between. The idea is to motivate one another to follow through and finish projects, to connect with and encourage others who share our creative passions, and of course it's a great source of inspiration for future projects.
I've been lurking in the background of these Sew and Tell Friday parties for months now without participating -- because I was never finished with anything until now! So, here it is, folks: Eleven long months after I cut into the first piece of fabric, my Drunken Dragons quilt for my 11-year-old son is finally finished. If you are a newcomer and are interested in reading any of the long, tedious posts about this quilt that I've been boring my regular readers with for the last year, you can find them all by clicking here.
|"Drunken Dragons" Quilt, 66" x 97"|
My son had been asking for a new bed quilt for over a year when I found a couple of cool Asian dragon fabrics that met with his approval. The 66" x 97" finished quilt (the quilt top measured 70" x 105" prior to quilting and washing) is comprised of 7" drunkard's path blocks, and some of my early attempts at curved piecing and free-motion quilting were so bad that it looked like the work of a drunkard quilter -- hence the "Drunken Dragons" title for the finished piece.
I quilted a horizontal and vertical grid at the seamlines with my walking foot, used the embroidery module on my sewing machine to quilt a perfect decorative motif in the center of each of the pieced circles, and then I filled in everything else with hours and hours of free-motion squiggles and paisley fills. The Scrabble label on the back of the quilt was appliqued prior to layering and I quilted right through it. Here's the quilt on my son's bed at last:
Ta da! Thanks for letting me share, Amy!
6/28/2016: I'm linking this post up with Archives Tuesday at Val's Quilting Studio. The theme this week is Four Patch Quilts and my blocks do have a 4x4 grid even if they aren't just squares -- I hope that's okay! :-)