Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's Rhubarb Season! Bring on Some Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins!

Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins, recipe from Pat Sinclair's Scandinavian Classic Baking
I've noticed fresh rhubarb in the produce section of the supermarket lately, and couldn't resist trying out a new recipe from Pat Sinclair's Scandinavian Classic Baking.  The verdict?  Well, first I tasted one, to make sure they were edible.  Then I ate three more of them, and I'm going to have to put the rest of them someplace where I can't reach them if anyone else is to have a chance to try them! 

Rhubarb and blueberries are both high in Vitamin C, dietary fiber and calcium, and studies have shown that both rhubarb and blueberries help to prevent the development and growth of cancer.  Blueberries have the additional benefits of reducing memory loss, reducing urinary tract infections, and lowering cholesterol.  I didn't know any of this before baking the muffins -- I looked up the health benefits afterwards, to justify and rationalize my muffin gluttony.  It seems you can never be too rich, too thin, or eat too many blueberry rhubarb muffins...  ;-)

No comments: