Tuesday, September 8, 2020

LAL#6: The One Where the Dog Ate My Blog Post


No, I haven't quilted anything since last week, but LOOK AT THE PUPPY!  😍



No, Sam didn't REALLY eat my blog post.  I'm just using cute puppy pictures to (hopefully) distract you from what a bad example I'm setting, hosting a linky party that's supposed to be about spending some time each week experimenting, learning, or practicing machine quilting, and here I have nothing to show for myself.  In my defense, I have been throwing that orange ball around the back yard A LOT, and having to fetch it out of the neighbors' yard more often than I would care to admit because I have no aim whatsoever and I keep throwing the ball over the fence...

It's not the puppy's fault at all.  I just spent more of my time piecing and following new design ideas down rabbit holes rather than quilting last week. I've finished all of the curved piecing my Modern Baby Clam Shells quilt top and am currently adding borders and trying to decide what to do about the backing fabric being smaller than I thought it was (I stopped to write this post when I realized tomorrow is Tuesday again) while I wait for the butterfly print fabric to come in the mail.  

I picked my thread color for the outreach veteran's quilt, wound a couple of bobbins, threaded the machine, and swapped out my ruler foot for my new scoop foot.  Then I gave the hook race a nice cleaning and oiling and got the pantograph set up for quilting.  SURELY I'll get it quilted by next Tuesday!

Last week, I especially enjoyed Andree's Pinwheels and Stars free motion quilting progress:


I also admired Chris's curved crosshatching and perfectly round quilted circles on this table topper:


This makes me want to get my rulers out again and do some custom quilting, but I have to work through my backlog first.  Veteran's quilt, clam shell quilt, and baby quilt not yet started, all needing edge to edge pantograph quilting, and THEN I can explore some more custom quilting!

To Do This Week:

  • Quilt pantograph on Veteran's Quilt
  • Finish borders & fix backing shortage for Modern Baby Clam Shells
  • Finalize design for baby brother quilt & purchase fabrics

I'm linking up today's post with To-Do Tuesday at Home Sewn By Us.  What have YOU been quilting this week?  Link up below!




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

So puppy chases balls and you chase a few squirrels!
Works for me....

Julie said...

Welcome to the real world! Throw the ball, and take a pass. I’ll have a post this afternoon to link up, but too far behind on a custom job to stop and write. I took time to enjoy the holiday, too. Hope yours was good!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sometimes you just have to follow new design ideas down rabbit holes - we all experience that! I don't think I left a comment on your post about the clamshell quilt the other day, but it is beautiful and I am so impressed at your precise piecing! Hope you find the perfect quilting design for it.

Preeti said...

Reading on Tuesday after Labor Day...the day that was infamously called the Terrible Traffic Tuesday because all traffic would return from holidays and schools would be back in session... That was so 2019. Most folks abandoned their plans for the last holiday in summer, one last dip in the pool, one last walk on the beach and stayed home. I did too. The fact that Samwise ate your post is just the dose of humor I needed today. Kudos to the bad boy that he is. Give him an extra pat and an extra belly rub from me. Hugs to you and Stay safe.

Kathleen said...

Rottweilers always win! You can't have content everytime. I am thinking about my tips and tutorials and feel the same way that sometimes it just isn't there! Sometimes, you just gotta do what you can.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Rebecca! Well, that puppy is one cute distraction. You needed time to enjoy your family and the holiday weekend such as it was. I've enjoyed following your friends who have been linking up each week. Thank you for linking up today! ~smile~ Roseanne

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Rebecca, the puppy always works! That's the thing about any kind of quilting - you have to piece and finish a quilt before you can get to that part. It sounds like you're making the hard decisions for your clam shell quilt, so don't be too hard on yourself....most of us love puppy pictures :-)
Thanks for featuring my star. Now I had better get an other one done for next week! Take care.