Saturday, April 2, 2016

Another Openin', Another Show... 13 Days 'Til Mary Poppins Comes to Christ Lutheran!

So, quilt ceremonies, great music, and full-scale musical theatre productions in the sanctuary -- I promise I didn't pick my church ONLY for the arts and crafts.  There was something about grace and eternal salvation that factored into it as well.

Sets Going Up for Mary Poppins!
But HOW COOL is this set for Mary Poppins?!  It's huge!  A professional set designer created the set design and it was constructed and painted by talented church volunteers who have put in many, many hours over the past few months.  Today they are installing the set pieces that were built off-site in the extra-large chancel area of our new sanctuary, and I'm amazed to see the transformation from worship space to theatre.  The organ, both grand pianos, altar, lectern, and baptismal font have all been removed, and Christ Lutheran will be worshipping at No. 13 Cherry Tree Lane for the month of April.  Woo hoo!  The flight apparatus for Mary and Bert has already been installed, too.  If I was the pastor, I would take advantage of that and surprise the congregation with a dramatic flying sermon or two...  Probably best that I'm NOT the pastor...

However, if you're wondering what Mary Poppins could possibly have to do with the message or mission of the church, you'll want to check out the Mary Poppins Sermon Series that will be preached at Christ Lutheran over the next three weeks (I swear I am not making this up).  Worship services are streamed live and archived for online viewing any time on the church web site here.

Altar Moved Back In Front of Set for Sunday Worship

The show opens in two weeks, April 15th, and if you're in the Charlotte area, you can get your tickets either in person at Cornerstone Gifts or online here.  Proceeds from the show will benefit The Sandbox, a local nonprofit supporting families of children with terminal illnesses.  It's going to be a fantastic show in support of a great cause, and I hope to see you there!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to feed the birds...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Itjustgetsstranger.com January of 2014. Post entitled "feed the birds". It is appropriate for someone playing the bird woman.