Sunday, August 27, 2017

Quilting Challenge! EQ7 Block 2973: Piecing? EPP? Applique?

Hello and Happy Sunday!  I need suggestions from you advanced quilters out there.  I found a block that I like in my EQ7 software Block Library, but I'm not sure how to make this one:

Block 2973 in EQ7
What do you think?  If the block is in EQ7, then I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the world it exists in fabric and thread, and somebody must have figured out how to make it.  I do not want to simplify the block by adding additional seams; I just want to figure out the way this block was most likely made by its original maker.  

It can't be foundation paper pieced because of the 90 degree angle seams and the curved seams.  So my first thought was EPP (English Paper Piecing).  But I would worry about those inside corners getting all frayed from handling if I tried to EPP them.  Also, what about those outer seam allowances?  The other blocks in this quilt were not EPP so I really need exact 1/4" seam allowances on the outside of this block -- I would not be able to baste all the way around the outer fabric patches, unless there is some trick I don't know about.

Now I'm thinking applique, but maybe applique combined with piecing.  I feel like the center "X" seam lines around the yellow square and between the red and green fabrics needs to be machine pieced so that those points are nice and crisp.  Same thing with the seams between the purple batik and the hot pink triangles.

Alternatively, could I hand piece this block if I cut the patches out with templates and carefully marked all the seam lines?

This will be a 6" block, to mix in with my Farmer's Wife sampler blocks.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow that is some block - step 1 - sew the blue curved piece to the red piece like a drunkard path block then sew the pink to the blue - you would make 4 units. Then step 2 - sew the green to the print and then to the newsprint sewing Y seams - mark the joints so you know where to stop - again this would be making 4 units - then sew the 8 units together as pictured. Instead of the Y seams I would probably make an extra seam for those and use more pieces. And I totally forgot about the yellow square in the middle - well you would need to add that as you join the units together of course.
That is how I would deal with it.

Jill said...

Wish I could offer a suggestion other than the curved section on red pieces could be applique. It is a small block and that curve appears tighter than Drunkard's Path. Good luck.

Lisa Boyer said...

I would make a pieced block of all the squares within squares--the newsprint, Kaffe, green and yellow (you'd have to piece the yellow into the green). You'd have a series of squares within squares. Separately, piece the pink and purple and applique the red on top of the pink and purple piece. Then applique the pink, purple and red assemblages on top of your squares within squares. I think that would work! Of course, I haven't tried it, but that's how I think I'd try it. Good luck!

Ramona said...

What a gorgeous block! I sure hope you are able to figure out how to piece it because I'd love to see it made with fabric. Good luck! :)

Tammy Hutchinson said...

This block looks like a candidate for Penny Haren's work called 'pieced applique' where you make a machine pieced block and applique on top of that. Also, I'm not advanced, but have heard others in my guild say "You can do anything when you hand piece."

Shar said...

I don't see any way of sewing that red curved piece with a machine. If you can applique that piece and then machine stitch the rest, I think you'll get it done. That's a looot of Y seams and you'll have to keep which way to press things as you go along. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I would use freezer paper foundation piecing, ie. Ruth MacDowell style. I would leave the yellow center square by itself to start and make all the 'fan blades' out from there and treat it kind of like a 9 patch putting the 3 diagonal rows together including the yellow square then. That makes all of the Y-seams fairly shallow and they are easier that way. If you are worried about the paper coming off you can trace the seams and tick marks on the inside of the fabric on the wrong side with a wax colored pencil (so it won't rub off). Ruth's book shows a lot about this. I just finished all her practice pieces and I did my Christmas quilt with these techniques and it worked out great. I did several flying swallow blocks with lots of Y-seams and saw later that there was a better way to do it that would have made the seams more shallow! That is really the trick if you can do it. Be sure to mark your quarter inch carefully so you don't get puckers. Better too far away at the end than to close to the end, you can take a stitch to close a hole usually but its hard to fix a pucker! Good luck. It looks like a fun block.