Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Bear Paw Borders Revised: Frankenstein Rainbow Batik

Rainbow Borders Pieced and Ready to Go!
Well, NOW we're getting somewhere!  I managed to get these borders pieced yesterday and I'm feeling better about this quilt again.  I wasn't able to find one perfect fabric for this border that incorporated all of the colors I needed (wanted), so I've pieced these borders from 2" strips of a rainbow batik FQ (fat quarter) and added in 2" squares of the orchid pink batik that I used in the center of my bear paw blocks and one of the turquoise hand marbled fabrics.  

Frankenstein Border Piecing Underway...
Ta Da!  THIS I Like!
I cut these borders at 2", which would give me a 1 1/2" finished border width.  When my Kona Snow solid white fabric comes, I'm going to do a 1 1/2" inner border of solid white, then the rainbow border with mitered corners, and then a wider outer border of solid white.  Although I may decide to make my rainbow border even skinner if it threatens to overpower the rest of the quilt.

Five Works-In-Progress On My Design Wall (More Hiding In the Wings)
Can't do a darned thing with it until my white fabric arrives, though.  But that's fine, because I have A NEW PROJECT that I need to start and finish in a SINGLE DAY...  Curious?  I'll tell you about it when it's FINISHED!  

Have a wonderful Wednesday!  I'm linking up with:
 
·       Let’s Bee Social at http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/
·       Midweek Makers at http://quiltfabrication.blogspot.com/
·       WOW WIP on Wednesday at www.estheraliu.blogspot.com

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice to see your design wall! so many pretty blocks on the wall - looks like you are solving your border dilemma - hope it all works out for you!

Glenda said...

What a fabulousness Bears Paw quilt such strong colour it's just perfect and I like that strong border also. So great to see your sewing room and great design wall full of exciting pieces. Cheers Glenda

Alison said...

This looks so cool! At first I didn't realize that it was pieced and thought it was just a cool dye!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Rebecca,
I love the pieced border! It looks beautiful and if really pulls the color out of the blocks. ~smile~
Roseanne

Susan said...

Lovely, just lovely! Sometimes quilts just take a while to tell us what they want. Thanks for sharing today on Midweek Makers!

Arna said...

Rebecca,

You've done a beautiful job here designing this quilt. Whomever receives it will love it to death!!

Arna

Soma @ whimsandfancies.com said...

Wow! You pieced that border?!! Well done! The quilt looks great with it. Your design wall is beautiful!!

-Soma

Rachel said...

Your borders sound lovely! Love how the paw and star blocks work together. Good luck on your secret sewing!

Rachel said...

Your borders sound lovely! I really like how the paws and stars work together. Good luck on your secret sewing!

PaulaMu said...

That border is fantastic and brings the quilt together. I agree, figure out the width once you've got the white in there. I know all about several works in progress . . .

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Yep! I love your border too! So much fun on your design board! LOVE IT!

Katie V said...

I hate waiting for fabric. But this quilt looks great. Love those colors again the white background! Thanks for your comments on my "unquilting" post. They were a huge source of encouragement.

Katie from Hobbies Up To Here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...