|First Block Will Finish 30" x 30"|
|Foundation Papers, Some Assembly Required|
So this is what I got. TWENTY sheets of paper, and as you can see in the photo above, some of my block segments needed to have as many as three pieces taped together once I'd cut them out. I took my time cutting and taping them, knowing that the accuracy of paper piecing is only as good as the accuracy of the foundation papers. Traditional piecing might have been a better way to go, except that the quarter square triangles needed to make this block in a 30" size are not "ruler friendly." I would have had to cut out 7 3/16" squares and cross-cut them into QSTs (Quarter Square Triangles). Yuck!
After carefully cutting and taping, I got this:
|Foundation Papers Ready to Piece|
I put a scribble of black, blue or green on each patch to help me keep track of which fabric goes where. After taking this picture, I also planned the stitching order to ensure that I have opposing seam allowances when I join the segments together to form the block, and I numbered the patches accordingly. And then I pressed my fabric and cut myself some oversized QSTs. I didn't cut out the giant green triangles yet, though, because I haven't figured out how I want to cut them yet. They are QSTs from a 19 3/16" square.
But meanwhile, there's a skirt upstairs waiting to be finished, and that's what I'm going to work on today: Interfacing the skirt yoke with SF101, assembling and attaching the yoke to the skirt, and maybe if I'm lucky I'll even get to that invisible zipper (that I probably should have put in first).