|Embroidery Finished, but Needs Fixing!|
Against my better judgment, which seems to have abandoned me, I did not stitch out a sample of either design. It was just simple lettering, right? As long as I stabilized properly it would be fine. Hah. Okay, so here's what I did right: Organ embroidery sharp needle in size 75/11, black OESD PolyMesh cutaway stabilizer, and I very carefully measured, marked, and hooped the quilt to ensure that the lines of text would stitch out straight and centered in the 1" wide light green border. I found the little hoop clips that came with my Mega Hoop and even figured out how to attach them to the hoop:
|Mega Hoop Clips Properly Positioned|
|Auto Basting Completed, Ready to Stitch Design|
Meanwhile, I decided that the bits of black thread don't bother me enough to try to rip the embroidery out and redo it, since it gives kind of a mottled look to the lettering that is similar to the mottled, textured look of the fabrics I used in the quilt. Those stitches are so tiny and so close together that it would be a miracle if I could remove them without accidentally ripping a hole in the quilt top. It would almost make more sense to remove and replace the borders (ugh!) But next time? Not only should I STITCH A SAMPLE FIRST, DUH -- but why did I even need to use black bobbin thread in the first place? After all, I have lovely 50/2 Aurifil cotton Mako thread that matches every fabric in this quilt, that I bought for my quilting thread. There is absolutely no reason why I could not have used the royal blue Aurifil thread in the needle AND bobbin for stitching these designs instead of Isacord polyester embroidery thread in the needle and OESD bobbin thread in the bobbin, and the tension perils of tiny satin stitched letters would have been invisible if I had matching thread in the bobbin.
|Bobbin Thread Showing On Top :-(|
So, first design stitched, and aside from the tension I'm pretty pleased -- it's legible, it's centered, it's straight, and it didn't pucker my quilt top one iota:
On to the easy part, the embroidered quilt label info for the bottom right corner of the quilt. I did not make further adjustments to the tension because I thought it would be better if both lines of embroidered text had black dots instead of one line black and blue and the other line all blue. My label info design fit nicely into my Large Oval hoop, but other than that I followed the same procedure as before. I did float an additional layer of the PolyMesh cutaway stabilizer beneath the hoop during embroidery.
The design stitched out great, once again perfectly straight and positioned exactly where I wanted it... But there was one little problem:
|Stitched With Love by a Nincompoop!|
|Oh, the Shame!|
After sleeping on it, and looking at it again this morning, I think I need to carefully rip out just the "t" in Charlote. Then I will write two "t"s in its place with a disappearing fabric marker, and use a satin stitch on the sewing machine (with the same width as the embroidered font) to manually stitch over the letters that I have marked. Wish me luck! If I botch it up royally, I can always take the borders off. Actually, it just occurred to me that there's no reason I couldn't have embroidered the borders prior to attaching them to the quilt. I cut them wide and then trim them to size after attaching them anyway, but if I embroidered the border before stitching it on I could have just hooped the stabilizer, drawn a straight line on it for positioning, and stuck the border in place with some 505 Temporary Spray Adhesive. It would have made hooping easier. Maybe next time!
Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone! The kids are home again today because of ice on the roads in some parts of the county and more cold temps and precipitation expected this afternoon. I just hope the weather doesn't get bad enough for Ash Wednesday service to be canceled at church tonight -- I like both of the anthems and I want to sing them!