|Behold, Constructive Chaos!|
I photocopied and laminated my templates as per the Piece O'Cake book instructions, and that went fine except that next time I think I'll photocopy them onto a heavier weight paper to make them a smidge sturdier for tracing around. I then traced my full-size pattern onto midweight upholstery vinyl with an ultra fine point Sharpie permanent marker, also as per the POC instructions. But at that point, I decided that I really didn't like the bullseye effect of three stacked circles for the center of my big flower. After playing around with it a bit more, I decided to make the largest and smallest circle, but not the middle one. I'll put a ring of little berries or seeds or whatever around the center circle instead. While I was at it, I added some more little berries at the ends of my tulips, because Bernie likes the little berries. He has finally started painting my bedroom this week, so he deserves some berries!
|Applique Pattern, Revised Yet Again|
That's what my pattern looks like now. I'm happy with it. The block will finish at 16" x 16" so those stacked petals are pretty big. I'll be stitching the stems first, then the large stacked petals, so I'll be starting out with gentle curves and not-too-severe inside and outside points. Then I'll reverse applique the tulip centers before stitching down the tulips and leaves. As for the circles, large and small, I'll probably still use my heat resistant Perfect Circles and More Perfect Circles templates and starch and press them, because I really like how nicely the circles turn out that way. We'll see.
|Fabric Auditions in Progress|
|New Fabric Left, Stash Fabric Right|
But now I'm thinking I might want to do just one block using the original fabric, and use the new fabric for all the other blocks. Sometimes in a vintage or antique quilt you'll notice that the quiltmaker ran out of a fabric and "made do" by substituting something similar. Sometimes quiltmakers would deliberately set one block upside down, an intentional mistake symbolizing that no one is perfect. Anyway, I cut four perfect petals and one little tulip out of my brown daffodil print fabric so far, and I'd rather not throw them in the scrap bin if I can make them work in my quilt. So, we'll see.
I still have only the vaguest idea which fabrics I'm going to use for the circles and seed/berries in the center of my flower. After I recut the rest of my leaves from the darker green print fabric, the flower centers will be the last item on the agenda.
I'm linking up to Judy's Design Wall Monday post because the linky is still open, and I can. I'm also linking up to Esther's Works In Progress Wednesday, since it IS Wednesday, after all.