|Decorated: Quilt or Die!|
While we're on that topic, here's what my studio looks like today:
|Stalled Studio Remodeling Project :-(|
...And here's what still needs to happen before I can stop nagging my husband about it:
As you can see, I have already attached the Multiple Spool Holder with the adapter bracket. Yippee! The next thing that needs to happen is the building of the permanent cutting table. Right now I have a temporary setup with a kitchen drawer base between metal wire mesh drawer units, with an old Pottery Barn dining table top for the surface. The surface is too small, and although I like the wire mesh bins for fabric storage, I don't like the way they slide off the rails to the back and front and land on the floor. I'd rather have them in sturdy wood or MDF cubbies, sized to fit, with additional storage built in all the way around the new, larger cutting table surface. I've decided on masonite for the cutting table surface, which is what the existing sewing cabinet surface is made of, and I think it needs to be about 48" x 76". I find the masontie not quite slippery enough for free-motion quilting, but it would be perfect on the cutting table to prevent my cutting mats from slipping.
Once the permanent cutting table has been built, I'll be able to determine whether my sewing cabinet can move any closer to the cutting table without it getting too cramped. Bernie can install a floor outlet for cords beneath the sewing cabinet once we're sure that's where it's going to stay. I hate that plastic folding table behind my cabinet, but I need the extra surface area to support large quilts and for staging and planning purposes. What I dislike about the plastic table is its ugliness and wasted space beneath, where I pile all sorts of supplies and equipment that has no other home -- creating a lot of visual clutter. So the sewing cabinet will be expanded to the back with additional built in storage for my embroidery module and other items built in. The new sewing cabinet surface will NOT be masonite as I indicated on my rendering; that was a typo. I think it will be MDF with some kind of Formica laminate top, and I want it to have breadboard-style pullouts on the front, to the left and right of the sewing machine, that can be used as mini cut and press stations for paper piecing projects. I also want to go back to the airlift I was using before with my Artista 200/730E. With the old machine, I had to lean on top of the machine in order to get the lift to move from one position to another, but I think it will work better with the heavier, 30 pound 750 QE machine. In any case, the new electric lift we installed is driving me nuts because it doesn't have the capability to program stop positions. So it lifts the machine shelf too high, then too low, then too high...
We'll try to get as much storage as we can beneath the sewing cabinet and cutting table, and then address any leftover storage needs that remain. The wooden unit that you see to the left of the cutting table now needs to go. The shelves are not useful sizes for storing the items that I need to find homes for, and the length of this bookshelf extends too far to the left, getting in the way of the large design wall that I want on that wall. It's the only wall where I can do a design wall because of the steeply sloped ceiling and the window on the opposite wall. Pegboard will go on the wall to the right and/or to the left of the cutting table for ruler storage, and hooks will go on one side of my sewing cabinet for hanging my embroidery hoops.
|Scalamandre Stravagante in Color 01, a 24-screen print, $399 per yard|
We're off to church for Good Friday soon. Lars is the acolyte, so we can't be late -- and that means I'd better figure out what I'M going to be wearing, as opposed to what my windows will be wearing!
Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Happy Spring, everyone!