|A Sea of Safety Pins|
There are about 730 size #1 safety pins more or less evenly spaced throughout my 70" x 105" Drunken Dragons quilt now. I tried to be careful to keep the layers perfectly smooth, straight, and flat while I was pinning, ever fearful of ending up with those pleats and puckers on the backing side after machine quilting. I even flipped Anders' Froggy Quilt of Many Colors over to try to get pictures of the pleats and puckers and knots that I'm trying to avoid this time, and you know what? I couldn't even FIND them! I know they're there, but evidently the "oopses" weren't as bad as they seemed at the time. That's encouraging, right?
|Kwik Klip tool and Size #1 Curved Safety Pins|
I'm also planning to attempt quilting in the ditch along the curved circle seam on each block, but that's going to have to be done free motion, with the feed dogs down, so I don't have to wrestle with turning the quilt 360 degrees for every circle.
|Variegated Machine Quilting Threads I will NOT be Using, YLI & King Tut|
In my research on this thread, I found that most quilters use invisible nylon thread in the needle only, and recommend a 60 weight cotton embroidery thread in the bobbin. I have heard wonderful things about Aurifil Mako 50 weight cotton thread for both piecing and quilting, which is supposed to be combine the benefits of 50 and 60 weight threads, but none of the shops local to me carry Aurifil and I wasn't about to order it online since I want a color that will virtually disappear on the Scrabble label fabric (I appliqued the label to the quilt backing prior to layering and basting so it will be quilted in and never come off, but I don't want to see contrasting quilting thread running all over the scrabble tiles).
|Boring Threads I WILL Be Using: SewArt, YLI, Bottom Line & Mettler|
Another note about sewing with the invisible thread: On the advice of my experts, I did lower my needle tension when I used this thread for my invisible machine applique. I put a lightweight cotton embroidery thread in the bobbin, matched to my background fabric, lowered the top tension by one, and used the built-in invisible applique stitch on my machine, with some minor length and width adjustments. I also put the invisible thread on the thread stand attachment that I bought for embroidery threads, instead of using the horizontal spool holder on the machine. Using a free-standing cone thread stand would be another option, but this thread benefits from a little extra breathing room as it comes off the spool and travels to the tension disks to prevent it from kinking up and misbehaving.
My espresso machine is fixed and running smoothly again, thanks to my "handy" husband, so all is well again in my caffeinated world. Today I've got some errands to run and phone calls to make, and Anders has his first Suzuki violin lesson this afternoon. I'm hoping to sneak in 30 minutes of sewing time either today or sometime tomorrow. I'll post more pictures once the quilting adventure has begun. Have a wonderful weekend!